This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1108121

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Loddiswell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 99558

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LODDISWELL VILLAGE CENTRE SX 74 NW 5/108 Church of St Michael and 26.1.67 All Angels II* Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15. Slatestone with granite dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave, north transept, south aisle incorporating porch, chancel with south aisle chapel. Square 2-stage tower, lower level to diagonal buttresses, then above string plain square stage carrying battlements set forward on corbel table; north face has heavy square stair turret to pent roof to two thirds height only. West front has C19 plank door in pointed arch under a strange 3-light window with a supertransom carrying 3 stepped lights, all with arch and drip mould under voussoirs; louvred opening to shouldered lintol each face of bell stage. To right of tower is plain wall to coped gable. South front has a 2-light Y-tracery window in wood to priest's chamber above doorway in basket-handle arch under square stepped drip course; plinths to jambs with worn sunk panels. Floor to porch in slate, granite surround to door to aisle, 'open' barrel roof. Remains of stocks. South aisle has four 3-light late C14 windows to slightly pointed head under drip mould; outer lights have segmental heads, mullions pass through full height, no cusping, all set back in jambs. Three buttresses to double offset, and on continuous seat-like plinth, diagonal buttress to east. Chancel chapel has a 4-light with good perpendicular tracery, priest's door has head as flat 4-centre arch from a single stone, and a small 2-light perpendicular window. No buttress to corner. East end has 3 coped gables with crosses, small 3-light Perpendicular to chapel, large 5-light C19 to chancel, narrow 3-light to north, very worn cusping. The east wall is set down well below churchyard level, as is much of north side. North side has length of plain wall, and a blocked 3-light Perpendicular with glass to tracery lights only. Transept with plain east wall, coped gable with cross, above a C19 3-light Perpendicular to north wall; here also a bituminised plinth to c.1.5m height; west wall with 3-light. North side of nave has a central 3-light Perpendicular flanked by simpler 3-light, all to drip courses. Window generally have relieving arches in deep voussoirs to neat extrados. Interior: tower has C17 ringers' door in shouldered arch, deep set west door, from through square opening, glased in on 2 steps to slate floor. Nave on slate and tile floor, C19 barrel roof, 4-bay arcade to 4 hollows and shafts to piers in granite; south aisle on slate and tile, C19 barrel roof, doors at west end to porch and priest's room. Chancel on 2 steps plus 2 at altar, double chamfer chancel arch, including opening in respond for road; tile floor. Wide arch each side, that to south on octagonal piers to flared capitals and double chamfer arch, squint from south aisle. Piscina plus small arch alongside, possibly sedilia, but looks small for this. South aisle through double chamfer arch, on slate and tile floor, C19 barrel roof. Chapel to north, with organ, is very narrow. North transept on wood floor, C19 barrel roof; blocked arch to north chancel chapel. Fittings and monuments: Norman red sandstone round bowl font and good round base, deep embellishment of scrolled and chevrons. Good carved and painted C19 panel reredos vigorous 1867 marble pulpit, eagle lectern. Pews late C19 pitch-pine. North transept has many marble commemorative tablets to members of the Wise family, local benefactors; also a large upright incised slate slab of 1616 to Edward Furlong. In south chapel are 2 good marble and slate wall tablets, to Katherine Langworthy, 1659, very shallow incised letter- ing on damaged marble surround to a steep pediment, and, in Latin, another Langworthy, 1634. Both of these with some applied colour. In a display case a bible of 1583. Royal Arms of George III over entrance. (Pevsner N, South Devon, 1952)

Listing NGR: SX7209848649

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952)

National Grid Reference: SX 72098 48649

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108121 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 02:48:12.

End of official listing