- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- SOUTHERN HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108199.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2020 at 19:42:01.
- Statutory Address:
- SOUTHERN HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Hams (District Authority)
- North Huish
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 71962 55908
4/454 Southern House
House. Circa 1869 to 1870. Stuccoed stone rubble. Dry hipped slate roof with lead rolls to hips and ridge. Deeply overhanging eaves with moulded cornice to soffit. Rendered axial stacks to left and right of ridge. Plan: Square double depth plan with central entrance hall containing the stairwell towards the back left, and 2 front rooms, the drawing room to the left and dining room to the right with a kitchen to the rear right from which rises the servants' stair; and a servants' room to the left; between the 2 back rooms behind the stairwell a scullery and behind the servants' room to the left a small one room plan wing containing the dairy on the ground floor with stairs to a chamber above which does not have first floor access to the main house. There are cellars under only the front of the house. The verandah across the front is probably a later C19 addition. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window range all in moulded stuccoed architraves with moulded cills; rusticated angle quoins, plinth, moulded eaves cornice and band at first floor level with bead moulding. C19 tripartite sashes to left and right with horizontal glazing bars. The centre first floor window has 2 round headed lights with moulded architraves and 2 C19 sashes with horizontal glazing bars. Central doorway with moulded architrave,large rectangular fanlight with stained glass margin panes and large C19 field 4-panel door. Across the front a later C19 verandah with a scalloped zinc valance, slender cast iron posts and later corrugated asbestos roof, the centre section of the verandah is glazed to form a porch The left hand and right hand returns (west and east sides) symmetrical 2 windows, those to the front rooms are blind and those lighting the back rooms have 12-pane sashes; all in moulded architraves like those at the front. The back has a symmetrical arrangement of C19 casements with a large rectangular fixed light window lighting the stairs at the centre and a flush panel door to the left into the kitchen. A short gable ended wing to the right and a single storey wing to the left with a lean-to roof against a side wall. Later lean-to outshut between the 2 wings. Interior: The right hand front room has a white marble chimneypiece with console brackets and an iron grate, and a moulded plaster cornice. Similar left hand room but with a black marble chimneypiece. Inscribed in pencil on -the wall plaster of the right hand front room:- Frank Harvey Painted, Grained and Paperhanged this New House for Mr H Mills, Newton Abbot, In the year 1869 and 1870". The entrance hall has a moulded cornice and plaster centrepiece in high relief with anthelion and acanthus leaves. The open well stairs have an open string slender turned balusters and a moulded mahogany handrail wreathed over the curtail newel. All the C19 joinery is intact including panelled doors, doorframes and panelled internal window shutters. The back rooms are much plainer. The servants' room has its chimneypiece removed and the dairy behind has slate slabs and stairs to a chamber above with stick balusters and turned newels. The first landing at the back has a WC with borrowed light above for the stairs from a large window with stained glass margin panes.
Listing NGR: SX7196255908
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing