DOORWAY ADJOINING NORTH EAST CORNER OF BLACK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1108200

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Apr-1993

Statutory Address: DOORWAY ADJOINING NORTH EAST CORNER OF BLACK HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOORWAY ADJOINING NORTH EAST CORNER OF BLACK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108200 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 08:53:47.

Location

Statutory Address: DOORWAY ADJOINING NORTH EAST CORNER OF BLACK HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams (District Authority)

Parish: North Huish

National Grid Reference: SX 71301 57646

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH HUISH SX75NW AVONWICK 4/457 11.11.52 Doorway adjoining NE corner of Black Hall (formerly listed as archway at Black Hall)

GV II

Doorway of former house, reused as garden gateway. Dated 1651. Granite. Wide doorway with roll moulded segmental arch and jambs, the spandrels carved with a scroll or arabesque design, the outer frame chamfered with a small coat of arms above and date 1651; the whole framed by a label with flowers carved in the stops. Reseat in a garden wall adjoining the north east corner of Black Hall (qv). From the mid C17 Black Hall was the seat of the Fowells of Fowellscombe, their main seat in Ugborough parish (qv), and now in ruins. In 1815 Black Hall was sold to Hubert Cornish who built the present house and reused this doorway from the old house.

Listing NGR: SX7130157646

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 101369

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing