HIGHER LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1108201

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1993

Statutory Address: HIGHER LODGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGHER LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108201 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 10:38:50.

Location

Statutory Address: HIGHER LODGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams (District Authority)

Parish: North Huish

National Grid Reference: SX 71361 57779

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH HUISH SX75NW 4/460 AVONWICK Higher Lodge

GV II

Pair of attached gate lodges converted into one house, on the Black Hall (qv) estate. Circa 1830-40 (depicted on the Black Hall estate map of 1840), converted into one house probably in early C20. Slate rubble, probably originally stuccoed, with dressed slate lintels. Hipped roof with splayed ends and deep eaves with shaped brackets; only the right hand end has its original grouted scantle slate roof, the centre and the left hand end has been reclad in diagonally-set asbestos tiles. Tall rendered stacks over the end walls. Plan: Pair of attached estate lodges situated at entrance to drive, converted into one house. Each lodge has a mirror image plan of one room with a splayed out front corner and a shared central entrance lobby at the front, behind which are the stairs against the party wall. The rooms are heated from stacks on the end walls. There is a single storey outshut behind each lodge which has been heightened to 2 storeys probably in the early C20 when the lodges were converted into one house. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 1:3:1 window range, the right and left hand windows in the splayed corners. Original early C19 3-light casements with glazing bars, slate lintels and slate cills; the first floor centre window and first floor windows in the splayed corners are blind and have painted dummy casements with leaded panes. Central doorway to lobby with late C19 or early C20 plank door and gabled timber hood on shaped brackets. Panelled back door. The single storey rear outshuts have been raised to 2 storeys and rendered. Interior: Simple C19 panelled doors. The left hand room has simple C19 chimneypiece and is used as the lion room; the right hand room's fireplace has a C20 Rayburn range.

Listing NGR: SX7136157779

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 101371

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing