This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BANK HOUSE THE SHOP THE SHOP AND BANK HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BANK HOUSE THE SHOP THE SHOP AND BANK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1108203

Location

BANK HOUSE
THE SHOP
THE SHOP AND BANK HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: North Huish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 101378

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH HUISH SX75NW 4/467 AVONWICK The Shop and Bank House

II

Pair of attached cottages with a shop on the Black Hall (qv) estate. Circa 1840-45 (not depicted on the Black Hall estate map of 1840) with later C19 additions. Stone rubble. Asbestos slate pyramidal hipped roof with deep eaves. Rendered stack at apex of roof. Plan: Pair of attached estate cottages. The original building is square overall; the mirror image plan of each cottage has a living room at the front and a kitchen behind, and each room is heated from one central stack. Later in the C19 a 2 storey 1-room plan addition containing a shop was added to the side of the left hand cottage (The Shop) with an outshut in the angle at the rear, and another outshut was added to the rear of the right hand cottage (Bank House). Exterior: 2 storeys. 1:2 window range. The right hand 2 windows are in the original symmetrical front and the left hand window is in the later C19 addition. First floor C19 2-light casements with 8 panes per light and wooden lintels. The ground floor has 3 canted bay windows with C19 casements 8 panes per light and hipped roof made of large slates; the left hand bay is a shop window with panelled shutters and to its right is a C19 flush panel door with a scantle slate hipped hood. The right hand return has similar casements, C20 glazed porch to the right and C20 wooden garage to left of centre. At the rear a 1 storey and attic outshut. - Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SX7118358213

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 71183 58213

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2017 at 09:12:30.

End of official listing