- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- AVON GROVE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108204 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 14:24:07.
- Statutory Address:
- AVON GROVE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Hams (District Authority)
- North Huish
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 71459 58319
4/469 Avon Grove
House on the Black Hall (qv) estate. Circa 1840-45 (not depicted on Black Hall estate map of 1840) and with C20 additions. Rendered stone rubble, slate hung left hand west side. Asbestos slate hipped roof with deep eaves; the back slope of the roof is carried down to lower eaves over the back rooms. Symmetrically placed rendered stacks with heightened shafts. Plan: Approximately square double depth plan. 2 principal front rooms with an entrance hall between containing the stairs and smaller rooms behind; the right hand back room is the study and the left hand room at the back is the kitchen; the pantry and other services may have been in the narrow single storey wing at the back of the kitchen. In the C20 an extension was built at the back to the right and the front porch was replaced. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window south front. First floor C19 16- pane sashes, ground floor larger C19 12-pane sashes with cills almost at ground level. Central doorway with C19 6-panel door the bottom 2 panels flush, the top 4 panels fielded and a rectangular overlight with margin glazing bars. Early C20 glazed wooden porch replaces a C19 porch said to have had a tented roof. The left hand return has blind window to the right and 16- pane sashes to the left towards the back. The right hand east return has large 12-pane sash to left with a blind window above and 16-pane sashes to the right towards the back. Interior The right and left hand front rooms each have moulded plaster ceiling cornices and black marble chimneypieces; the left hand chimneypiece painted white. The study behind the right hand room has an original chimneypiece also. The C19 joinery is largely intact including panelled doors, panelled internal window shutters and a closed string staircase to the left of the entrance hall with stick balusters and a moulded handrail ramped to turned newels.
Listing NGR: SX7145958319
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.