THE ROCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1108205

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Statutory Address: THE ROCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ROCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108205 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 21:53:02.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ROCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams (District Authority)

Parish: North Huish

National Grid Reference: SX 71526 58326

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH HUISH SX75NW AVONWICK 4/473 The Rock

9.2.61

GV II

House on the Black Hall (qv) estate. Circa 1840-45, not depicted on the 1840 Black Hall estate map. Rendered stone rubble, rough rendered front blocked out. Scantle slate U-shaped roof, hipped at front with deep eaves and with 2 gables at the back. Moulded cast iron gutters. 2 large rendered axial stacks symmetrically situated at the back ridges and a kitchen stack over the rear right hand gable. Plan: Square double depth plan with 2 principal front rooms and a central entrance passage which originally contained the stairs. Small service rooms at the back, the kitchen to the right and pantry to the left. In the C20 the stairs were moved from the passage to the back to left of centre, the pantry subdivided to accommodate a lavatory and outshuts added at the rear. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay south front. The first floor has the original early C19 16-pane sashes in exposed boxing; the ground floor windows have been replaced with 12-pane sashes with horns. Central doorway with the original 6-panel door, the bottom panels flush the middle panels glazed and a 10-pane rectangular overlight; C19 open porch with slender granite columns and pilasters supporting an entablature with a moulded cornice. Right and left hand returns: 2 C19 16-pane sashes towards the back. Interior: Left hand room has original simple white marble chimneypiece. Right hand room has C20 tiled fireplace surround. Simple original C19 joinery including 6-panel doors and panelled internal window shutters. C20 staircase at back of passage.

Listing NGR: SX7152658326

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 101384

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing