THE FORMER WATCH AND CLOCK FUSEE CHAIN FACTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1108213

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1976

Statutory Address: THE FORMER WATCH AND CLOCK FUSEE CHAIN FACTORY, BARGATES

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE FORMER WATCH AND CLOCK FUSEE CHAIN FACTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108213 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 21:16:16.

Location

Statutory Address: THE FORMER WATCH AND CLOCK FUSEE CHAIN FACTORY, BARGATES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Christchurch (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SZ 15606 92982

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARGATES 1. (South West Side) 5187 The former Watch and Clock Fusee Chain Factory SZ 1592 1/66 SZ 1592 1A/66

II GV

2. 1845. Founded and built by William Hart. In use for the manufacture of Watch and Clock chains until 1899. Christchurch was the most important centre for this industry which was also carried on in the workhouse and as a domestic or cottage industry. Red brick with grey headers. Slate root. 2 storeys. North-east or entrance facade has plaque giving ante in gable end, 2 windows and vehicle doors below. North-west, or side, elevation has 7 bays with brick pilasters between. Slate hinging above windows which are mostly of 3 lights each, those of ground floor with cambered arches. All with glazing bars. South-west end facade rendered.

The Priory Garage, the former Watch and Clock Fusee Chain Factory and Nos 22 and 24 form a group of which the Priory Garage is a building of local interest.

Listing NGR: SZ1560692982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 101398

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing