This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1108231

Location

THE OLD SCHOOL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Harberton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 101333

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARBERTON 5X7856-5X7956 15/429 HARBERTONFORD The Old School

GV II

School, converted to house. 1848 and with extensions added in 1881, converted into house circa mid to late C20. Slate rubble with granite dressings. Steeply pitched Welsh slate roof with stone coping to gable ends with kneelers. Granite quoins. Tudor style. Plan: Consists of main school room with entrance porch at left (north west) end and with 1881 wings at opposite south east and at rear (north east). Exterior: storey with later attic floor inserted. Symmetrical south west front to main range. Projecting gabled tower at centre with tall single light stair window with chamfered granit frame with 4-centred head and hoodmould; clock in gable above. Large 5-light granite window either side with 4-centred headed lights and hoodmould, the mullions replaced with concrete replacements. Left hand (north west) gable end has single storey gabled porch with chamfered 4-centred headed granite doorway with hoodmould. Later first floor windows flanking above with concrete hoodmoulds and ventilation lancet in gable with pointed head and slate louvres; gable apex has ashlar base of former bellcote. At opposite south east end a wing added in 1881, slightly set back to right of south west front with similar 3-light window probably reused from original south east gable end. Also added in 1881 rear (north east) wing has 3-light window with 4-centred headed lights. Interior not inspected. Note: Erected in 1848 by vicar of Harberton, Chancellor Martin, who added the School House (qv). Source: Kelly's Directory 1897.

Listing NGR: SX7840656210

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Devonshire, (1897)

National Grid Reference: SX 78406 56210

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108231 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2017 at 07:37:28.

End of official listing