- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- LUSCOMBE FARMHOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108236.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 05:56:50.
- Statutory Address:
- LUSCOMBE FARMHOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Hams (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 79600 57129
Farmhouse. Circa early C17 with additions of 1778 and C19 and with late C19 alterations. Rendered stone rubble. Steeply pitched asbestos slate roof with gabled ends; south gable end has asbestos slate hanging. Lean- to roof over outshut at lower right hand end and hipped roof to wing at front of higher end. Rendered lateral gabled stack at rear with set offs. Plan: Although it may be a rebuilding of an earlier house the existing early C17 house comprises 2 large rooms and a central through passage, the lower room to the right has gable end stack and the hall to the left is heated from a rear lateral stack with an oven; the stack is integral with a slightly projecting hall bay. At the higher end of the house set forward slightly and narrower there is a dairy which may be all that remains of the higher end of the putative earlier house. In 1778 a parlour wing was added to the front of the dairy overlapping the higher end of the hall with a straight staircase at the junction. the outshut at the front of this wring and the outshut with a loft above at the lower end are probably C19 additions. The house was refurbished in the late C19 including refenestration, the insertion of a second straight staircase against the front wall of the lower right hand room and the blocking of the back of the passage by creating a small square room, possibly a pantry, which was partly taken out of the lower room by the removal of the partition at the back of the passage. Exterior: 2 storeys. Regular but not symmetrical 3:1 window range. First floor 2-light casements and ground floor 3-light casements, all late C19 with horizontal glazing bars. First floor right a smaller late C19 or C20 3-light casement. Doorway to former passage at centre of the 3-window section has a C20 glazed door and a late C19 or early C20 wooden lattice porch. C19 plank door to right concealed by later outbuilding. All the windows and doorways have wooden lintels. A doorway into the outshut at the right end with a loft doorway above. Wing at right angles to left has late C19 3-light casement on each floor on inner face with a slate datestone inscribed 1778 over the ground floor window and a lean-to outbuilding on the end of the wing. Rear elevation: The right hand higher end projects slightly as a hall bay incorporating a rear lateral stack with weathering, set offs and a rendered shaft; the ground floor window in the hall bay to the right has a slate hoodmould. The window at the centre was formerly the back doorway of the passage which has similar to the window above and ovolo moulded timber lintel with run-out stops. The windows on the ground and first floors to the lower left end have stopped chamfered timber lintels. All the rear windows are circa late C19 2 and 3-light casements with horizontal glazing bars. Interior: The hall has a fireplace in the rear lateral stack with ovolo moulded wooden lintel with ogee stops and dressed slate jambs; and chamfered cross-beams, the stops either buried in the walls or removed. The lower right hand room has chamfered cross-beams with ogee or hollow step stops and the fireplace at the lower end is blocked. Section of the plank and muntin screen between the passage and lower room is plastered over but its chamfered head-beam is exposed. The partition between the hall and the passage has one jamb of a C17 ovolo and hollow moulded door frame. Straight flight of stairs in the C18 has a balustrade at the top with splat balusters and stop chamfered square newel with a ball finial. 2 fielded 2-panel doors at the bottom of this staircase and some more fielded 2-panel doors on the first floor. Various C19 panelled doors elsewhere in the house. Roof: Roof entirely replaced in the late C20 except for the feet of the principals at the higher end which remain resting on the wall plate.
Listing NGR: SX7960057129
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing