- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108243.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 12:54:42.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 78308 58293
Country house. Circa 1830 for the Harvey family. Alterations including addition of rear wing and verandah of circa 1893 by W H Tollit. Stuccoed stone rubble, rear wing white brick with stone dressings. Slate hipped roofs with lead rolls to ridge and hips. Rendered chimney stacks with moulded corners. Plan: Internal arrangement uncertain. Overall L-shaped on plan. The main range has a deep rectangular plan with a central entrance hall off which there are rooms on either side; the principal rooms are those on the left side on the garden front, at the extreme end of which there is a large wing at right angles with a colonnaded balcony on the first floor. On the other (north east) side there is a late C19 wing at the back. Neo-classical style. Exterior: Two storeys. South east front 2:1:2 bays, centre slightly advanced. Entablature of heavy cornice and parquet breaks forward over centre bay. Ground floor wide Doric portico with fluted columns, later C19 glazed doors, rounded reveals with deep frieze of arcanthus. The windows have moulded architraves and sills on small brackets, later C19 casements probably replace original sashes. Left hand return facing south west, long garden elevation, 3:1:3:1 bays, centre and right hand bays break forward with pilasters. The entablature of the south east front continues to breaks forward over centre and right hand bays which have raised parapets. The parapet continues around projecting north west wing to left which has a colonnade to first floor balcony on its inner south east side, with fluted Doric columns and cast iron balcony with bosses of intersections of diagonal bars. The south west end of wing has pair of windows at centre of each storey, flanked by blind panels on ground storey and pair of pilasters on first storey, the right hand pilaster is end pier of the colonnade of the south east balcony. All the windows are late C19 casements, probably replacing original sashes. Across the entire south west front and continuing around inner side of south west wing is a late C19 verandah with Ionic columns, paired at centre, supporting wooden modillion cornice to its roof which has range of dormers with squat columns supporting entablatures. At their end of the verandah a glazed conservatory with pediments. Between the columns of verandah a cast iron balustrade with bosses at intersections of diagonal bars. Interior: Fine large entrance hall with good moulded plasterwork. In the rounded end of hall a geometric staircase. Judging by the good quality of the hall there are likely to be more interesting rooms. Note: Dundridge was the seat of the Harvey family.
Listing NGR: SX7830858293
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing