LIMEKILNS ABOUT 40 METRES EAST OF HAZARD COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108248
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1993
Statutory Address:
LIMEKILNS ABOUT 40 METRES EAST OF HAZARD COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LIMEKILNS ABOUT 40 METRES EAST OF HAZARD COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108248 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 11:56:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
LIMEKILNS ABOUT 40 METRES EAST OF HAZARD COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Harberton
National Grid Reference:
SX 75452 59094

Details

HARBERTON SX75NE 5/365 Limekilns about 40 metres E of Hazard Cottage

GV II

Three limekilns. Circa late C18 and early C19. Kiln to west has date 1789. Slate stone rubble. Left hand (west) kiln is round on plan with high pointed arch opening on its east side and an elliptical arch opening on its west side. The east opening has date 1789 and initials I.R. carved on jamb. Kiln adjoining to right is semi-circular on plan with pointed arch opening. To right, linked by length of high stone retaining wall is a third kiln, round on plan, with segmental arched opening on west side and round arched opening on east side. The kilns are situated immediately south of Hazard quarry and are built into a bank to allow top loading from the rear. These kilns are especially interesting since one is a dated example. The nearby Hazard Cottage (qv), originally a pair of cottages was probably built to house quarrymen or lime burners. The cottage is dated 1792 and is nearly contemporary with the kilns.

Listing NGR: SX7545259094

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101272
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09233/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Mackenzie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].