PARK FARMHOUSE INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN AREA WALL AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108377
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1993
Statutory Address:
PARK FARMHOUSE INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN AREA WALL AND RAILINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARK FARMHOUSE INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN AREA WALL AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108377 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 00:37:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARK FARMHOUSE INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN AREA WALL AND RAILINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Cornworthy
National Grid Reference:
SX 82349 55692

Details

CORNWORTHY SX85NW CORNWORTHY 6/81 Park Farmhouse Including Front Garden Area Wall and Railings

II House, formerly a farmhouse. Probably late C17 or early C18, extended and remodelled in circa 1830-40. Plastered stone rubble, rough rendered at the rear. Slate roof with gabled ends and a box gutter at the front on shaped wooden brackets. Large rendered stacks, projecting gable end stack to the right and axial stack to left of centre. Plan: The existing plan is the result of an 1830-40 remodelling and extension. It has a 3-room plan with an entrance passage between the centre room and right hand room, the passage leads to a staircase in a tower at the back. The lower right hand room is heated from a gable and stack and the centre and left hand rooms share an axial stack with back-to- back fireplaces. There is a large outshut behind the right hand room containing the dairy and another smaller outshut behind the left hand and centre rooms. The original house was probably of only 2 room plan, so that the left hand room and large outshut behind the right hand room are probably circa 1830- 40 additions. The stairtower must also be of this period when the house was refenestrated at the front. The small outshut behind the centre and left hand rooms is also a C19 addition. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window front except that the 2 doorways are to right of centre and at the left end of the front. Circa mid C19 12-pane sashes with small horns. Doorway to right of centre has C20 classical style pilastered doorcase and a circa mid C19 9-panel door, the top panels glazed. Doorway to left end of the front has a C19 6-panel door. The unspoilt rear elevation has a stairtower to the left of centre with a hipped roof and a tall C19 10-pane fixed-light stair window. In the angle to the left a catslide roof -over the outshut. At the extreme right hand end on the first-floor a C18 2-light wooden window with leaded panes, cyma moulded on the inside and with C19 internal window shutters. At the centre of the first floor a C20 casement and below is the single storey outshut with a lean-to roof. Interior: Most of the C19 joinery is intact. The right hand room has a C20 chimneypiece covering a large open fireplace. The centre room has a mid C19 iron grate and a C20 chimneypiece. The left hand room has an C18 chimneypiece with a cyma cornice and an old cupboard to the right with boarded doors. Most of the mid C19 6-panel doors remain. The dog-leg staircase has moulded stick balusters, a turned newel and moulded mahogany hand rail. The first floor has panelled cupboards and single 2-panel doors. Roof: is a C19 railed soft-wood structure. Including circa mid C19 front garden wall, railings and gate. Low slate rubble with slate copping and wrought iron railings above with arrow heads to the shafts. The gate to the right of centre, opposite the house doorway, has similarly detailed wrought iron gate with stile scrolled over the top rail. A second gateway at the right hand side of the garden has a similar gate.

Listing NGR: SX8234955692

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
100991
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06365/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Coote. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].