LIMEKILN APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH WEST OF DINAH'S SIDE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108379
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1993
Statutory Address:
LIMEKILN APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH WEST OF DINAH'S SIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LIMEKILN APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH WEST OF DINAH'S SIDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108379 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 22:21:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
LIMEKILN APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH WEST OF DINAH'S SIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Cornworthy
National Grid Reference:
SX 85486 55146

Details

CORNWORTHY SX85NW DITTISHAM MILL CREEK 7/85 Limekiln Approximately 150 Metres South West of Dinah's Side

II

Disused limekiln. Probably late C18 or early C19. Local stone rubble including slate rubble. The limekiln has a flat front and rounded corners; it is built into a band at the rear for top loading. The walls are slightly battered. There is a dripcourse at the front over the central swallow opening which has a pointed arch with a long timber lintel at the apex. The swallow is corbelled inside and at the back there is a square stoking hole with a stone lintel. The kiln has been filled in from the top. Attached to the right and left of the front there are low walls which are probably the remains of a shelter for the lime. This is one of two limekilns on the foreshore of this creek. The other one is depicted in a water colour painting, dating 1792, by John White Abbott (1763-1851) (qv) cottage store and limekiln immediately west south west of Dinah's Side.

Listing NGR: SX8548655146

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
100995
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/06093/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Coote. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].