This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1108465

Location

RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: South Huish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 100800

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH HUISH SOUTH HUISH VILLAGE SX 64 SE 4/103 Ruins of Church of St Andrew 26.1.67

the grade shall be amended to read: II*(star)

------------------------------------

SOUTH HUISH SOUTH HUISH VILLAGE SX 64 SE 4/103 Ruins of Church of St. Andrew 26.1.67 II

Ruined parish church. C13, C14 and C15, abandoned in 1866. Slatestone rubble walls. Plan: nave and chancel are the oldest parts to which a C14 tower was added at the west end, and the north transept possibly at the same time. In the C15 a south aisle and porch were built. In 1866 the Vicar of West Alvington with its dependent chapels decided that the church was not worth restoration. All its fittings were sold, including the medieval screen which was taken to Bowringsleigh House in West Alvington (q.v.). The arcade to the south aisle was removed to Dodbrooke church in the early C20. Exterior: the church is now roofless but the walls are largely intact although less so to the transept. The stonework of the west tower is much eroded, it has a blocked C15 4-centred arched west doorway with mutilated Perpendicular window above. On the north wall of the nave is a C13 lancet opening with the framework gone. The chancel has 2 similar windows, that on the south side opening into the aisle and still with its stone framework. Granite Perpendicular windows to south aisleend at east end of church. Single storey south porch with dressed rubble roundheaded doorway of South Hams type. Inner south doorway has 4-centred chamfered stone head which blocks a former window opening in that wall. Internally the church has been completely stripped and has few features.

Source: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Woodleigh

Listing NGR: SX6951941112

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Woodleigh, (1923)

National Grid Reference: SX 69519 41112

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108465 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 11:17:09.

End of official listing