This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WADDETON COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WADDETON COURT

List entry Number: 1108502

Location

WADDETON COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stoke Gabriel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-May-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 100681

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 85 NE STOKE GABRIEL WADDETON

8/136 Waddeton Court

-

- II

Large country house, near site of earlier house, in landscaped gardens overlooking River Dart. Built in 1829 with circa mid C19 extension at rear (north). Tudor style. Dressed local grey limestone with freestone dressings. Slate roof with gabled ends with mould bargeboards, finials and crested ridge. Two storeys and attic. 2:1:2 bays. Centre projecting and gabled. Two-light ovolo moulded stone mullion windows with hood moulds, centre ground floor four-light and first floor three-lights with cusped heads. Similar small single-light attic window in gable above. Large circa mid C19 wing to rear (north) with principal east elevation gabled left and right, with projecting gable to left with gabled porch. Plain stone chimney stacks at ridge. Interior not inspected but is said to contain "some good specimens of ancient carving" (Kelly's Directory of Devon, 1883, page 410). This may refer to the remains of manor house qv which are situated to north. Waddeton Court is the seat of the Studdy family, and Henry Studdy was the founder of the Royal Dart Yacht Club in 1866 when it had club rooms in the Royal Dart Hotel qv, until its own premises were built in 1881.

Listing NGR: SX8740056730

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1883), 410

National Grid Reference: SX 87400 56730

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108502 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 08:17:38.

End of official listing