This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1108503

Location

CHAPEL OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stoke Gabriel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-May-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 100682

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 85 NE STOKE GABRIEL WADDETON

8/137 CHAPEL OF ST MICHAEL -

- II

Private chapel (of Waddeton Court qv) on site of medieval chapel founded in 1213. Dedicated in 1869. Coursed stone with freestone dressings. Tiled roof. Early English style two-cell chapel with nave and chancel. Nave has pairs of lancets with cusped heads, north and south. Chancel has polygonal apse with triple lancets and string course at cill level. Large buttress with set-offs on south east corner of nave. West end of nave has lancets either side of central chamfered buttress which has a stiff-leaf capital and a corbelled gable bellcote in gable above. Gabled stone porch on north side with double-chamfered four-centred arch doorway. Vestry on north side of chancel. Interior: Double-chamfered chancel arch on marble respond shafts. Boarded nave roof, the principals supported on corbels. Apse windows in continuous arcade with colonettes.

Listing NGR: SX8739756784

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 87397 56784

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108503 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2017 at 06:34:00.

End of official listing