RAILWAY VIADUCT IMMEDIATELY EAST OF LITTLEHEMPSTON BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108515
Date first listed:
21-May-1985
Statutory Address:
RAILWAY VIADUCT IMMEDIATELY EAST OF LITTLEHEMPSTON BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RAILWAY VIADUCT IMMEDIATELY EAST OF LITTLEHEMPSTON BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108515 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 20:55:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
RAILWAY VIADUCT IMMEDIATELY EAST OF LITTLEHEMPSTON BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Littlehempston
National Grid Reference:
SX 81356 62751

Details

SX 86 SW LITTLEHEMPSTON

5/57 Railway Viaduct immediately east of Littlehempston - Bridge

GV II

Railway viaduct over River Hems. Circa 1847. Stone rubble. Three spans with elliptical pink sandstone arches on slight skew. Sandstone stringcourse above and parapet with plain stone coping. C20 iron girder bridge on stone piers alongside to east is not included. The South Devon Railway was authorised in 1844. This section from Newton Abbot to Totnes was opened in 1847 and pipes were laid for atmospheric trains which were never used. The Great Western Railway took over in 1876 and the South Devon Company was dissolved in 1878. The broad gauge was replaced in 1892.

Listing NGR: SX8135662751

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
100605
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15693/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Chester. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].