This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY

List entry Number: 1108544

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kingswear

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 100571

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 8851 KINGSWEAR CHURCH HILL

15/28 Church of St Thomas of Canterbury 9.2.61

- II Parish church since 1837, before which it was a Chapel of Ease from St Mary's Brixham. C14 tower of slate rubble is all that remains of the medieval (early C13) church. The remainder rebuilt in 1847 by J Hayward of Exeter in local limestone rubble with freestone dressings in a Decorated style. Slate roofs. Nave and chancel is one and south aisle with two-light north and south windows, four-light west windows and three-light east windows all in Decorated style, gabled south porch with moulded arch doorway. Hood moulds have carved head stops. Short C14 west tower on west end of north side of existing nave, with embattled parapet slightly corbelled on coved string. Late C19 lancet bell-openings, north window and clock face, and diagonal buttresses at base. Early C20 vestry in Arts and Crafts style on west side of tower incorporating some old wall on south side, and early C20 organ chamber on north side of chancel. Interior: four-bay south arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double-chamfered two-centred arches. Nave and aisle roofs have arched braces to collars, on carved and angel corbels, king-posts over the collars and two tiers of wind braces. Early C20 Arts and Craft mbulded arch to organ chamber on north side of chancel. Carved wooden pulpit and Arts and Crafts choir stalls and seating are of 1921. C15 octagonal font, with cusped quatrefoils containing shields, in poor condition. Coffin lid of circa late C13. Some C18 tombs slabs on floor of nave. In the porch there is a framed drawing of the church dated 1841 (before the rebuilding of 1847). Reference: B F Cresswell, Notes on Devon Churches, Deanery of Ipplepen pages 159 to 164.

Listing NGR: SX8822351016

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches of the Deanery of Ipplepen, (1903), 159-164

National Grid Reference: SX 88223 51016

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108544 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2017 at 12:30:55.

End of official listing