TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108741
Date first listed:
20-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108741.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 02:39:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
North Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Shaftesbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 86268 22932

Details

ST 8622 2/59

HIGH STREET (South Side) Town Hall

20.6.52.

GV II Built by Richard, Marquess of Westminster, in 1837. Tower 1879, rebuilt 1925. Ground floor reconstructed 1926. Stone ashlar building with 5-window fronts, that to High Street being 2-storey, and that to Gold Hill, where the ground falls away, 3-storey. Castellated parapets, Small central tower has open pediment and clock. The windows are mostly 5-light casements with Gothic heads to lights and diagonal glazing-bars, On the lower floors the openings have 5-centred heads, those to the lower ground floor facing Gold Hill having wrought-iron gates. Facing High Street there is a central castellated porch and contemporary railings.

The Town Hall Church of St Peter, The Mitre Inn and Nos 25 to 31 (odd) form a group.

Listing NGR: ST8627222940

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
102044
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/06150/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Brenda Innes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].