ST EDWARDS CHANTRY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108759
Date first listed:
20-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
ST EDWARDS CHANTRY, BIMPORT

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST EDWARDS CHANTRY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108759 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 11:56:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST EDWARDS CHANTRY, BIMPORT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
North Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Shaftesbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 85751 22728

Details

1. 1615 BIMPORT (North-West Side) St Edward's Chantry ST 8522 6/101 20.6.52 2. (Formerly St John's Cottage). Stone ashlar with tiled roofs. 2 1-storey buildings, probably of early C19 date, linked together by later barrel-vaulting. Modern 2-storey block to South, and other additions. East front has central gabled porch and mullioned and transomed windows, 2 windows to left of porch and one to right hand. Internally the porch and the room South of it have carved stonework of Gothic design and probably of C19 origin. The dining room has re-set panelling, some dated 1600 and some 1620. There are some mullioned and transomed windows;, and also some elaborately carved doors said to have come from Fonthill Abbey. South front has too large three-sided bays projecting through both storeys. Graded II on account of interior features.

Listing NGR: ST8575122728

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101983
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/15481/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].