This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE COUNTY COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE COUNTY COURT

List entry Number: 1108776

Location

THE COUNTY COURT, STAFFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bournemouth

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 101929

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SZ 0991 STAFFORD ROAD (East Side)

The County Court 20/182

II

County Court. 1908-14 by F W Lacey (Borough Surveyor) and H A Collins. Red brick in Flemish bond and Portland stone ashlar; graduated slate roof. 2 Storeys, 11 bays. In Edwardian Baroque style. Symmetrical facade, bays 2 and 10 breaking forward and of ashlar, bays 1 and 11 recessed and with lower cornices. Ashlar dressings include: plinth, the lower portion rock-faced; chanelled angle pilasters; portal; architraves; eaves band to bays 1 and 11 (returned); and cornice. 7-bay centrepiece has: steps up to projecting portal with double-door flanked by narrow windows and with foundation stone to right dated 1912 and bearing legend "FIAT JUSTITIA"; Ionic pilasters support full entablature with royal coat-of-arms in broken semi-circular pediment; flag-pole; 12-pane sashes in architraves with cornices and keystones. Flanking bays each have a full-height recessed archway in which are set the windows, those on ground floor pedimented. Outer bays are blind on ground floor with tripled sashes at eaves and are under separate hipped roofs. Main roof is hipped with central Ionic copper cupola and corniced ashlar stacks flanking cupola and at ends, all in front roof pitch. Interior: entrance hall has terazzo floor, attached pilasters, dentilled cornice to compartmented ceiling, and stained glass to windows. From it rises imperial stone stair with moulded wooden hand rail and decorative panels to iron balustrade; large Venetian-style stair window has Ionic pilasters and swags over central window; at head of stairs, Venetian-style archway and royal coat-of-arms to balustrade. Linked mid C20 extension to south not of special interest.

Listing NGR: SZ0938591536

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 09385 91536

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108776 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 07:20:07.

End of official listing