Old St John's Buildings

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108811
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1976
Statutory Address:
Old St John's Buildings, Wimborne Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Old St John's Buildings
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108811.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 04:30:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
Old St John's Buildings, Wimborne Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bournemouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 08940 95027

Details

SZ 0895 17/166

WIMBORNE ROAD (north east side) Old St John's Buildings

II 1853, G.E Street, the original mission church of St John, Moordown, now secularised as builder's merchants but still recognisable. Single-pitched roof with timber bellcote on ridge (reconstructed circa 1950 along original lines); tiles now replaced by builders' samples. Grey-buff brick walls with trefoiled lancets, single or grouped, dressed in whitewashed stone. West wall with two trefoiled lacets, sexfoil in circle under hoodmould over, attached chimney to north. Sexfoil contains outstandingly good stained glass medallion of the beheading of St John, no doubt designed by Street himself.

Interior totally subdivided, though canted principals of roof can be traced. East end extended later, tilehung. School attached to south demolished.

Listing NGR: SZ0894095027

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101911
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/04846/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Fenwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].