BOURNEMOUTH EAST CEMETERY CHAPELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108813
Date first listed:
26-Feb-1982
Statutory Address:
BOURNEMOUTH EAST CEMETERY CHAPELS, GLOUCESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOURNEMOUTH EAST CEMETERY CHAPELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108813 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 08:44:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOURNEMOUTH EAST CEMETERY CHAPELS, GLOUCESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bournemouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 12066 92607

Details

1. BOSCOMBE 5186 Gloucester road

Bournemouth East Cemetery Chapels. SZ 1292 30/302

II

2. 1897, architect F W Lacey (Borough Engineer). Usual pattern of Church of England and Non-Conformist Chapels linked by central former porch in this case with good Rayonnant style spire; the rest are in Early English styles. Materials are rough-faced rubble and decorated with ashlar quoins and dressings; spire in Portland stone. Tiled roofs. Not symmetrical: gable and lancet triplet to right hand chapel, short link passage to left hand chapel. Angled bay to NE. Main feature is the spire which springs from a gabled arcade with pinnacles. The 3 stage tower has pierced parapets and corner finials ant an unusual combination of diagonal and corner buttresses. Large 2 light decorated window to belfry, gabled image niche (with statue) below. Main entrance with triangular label.

Listing NGR: SZ1206692607

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101920
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00051/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Fenwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].