This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ROYAL NATIONAL HOSPITAL AND CHEST CLINIC

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROYAL NATIONAL HOSPITAL AND CHEST CLINIC

List entry Number: 1108822

Location

ROYAL NATIONAL HOSPITAL AND CHEST CLINIC, ST STEPHEN'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bournemouth

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 101842

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5186 ST STEPHEN'S ROAD (South Side) Royal National Hospital and Chest Clinic SZ 0891 13/125 1.8.74.

II

2. 1855, E B Lamb, as Royal National Sanatorium for Diseases of the Chest. Powerful style typical of Lamb, rustic Italianate with echoes of Vanbrugh. Coursed Purbeck rubble, stone dressings with strongly marked tooling, sometimes vermiculated. South front 2 storeys, asymmetrical, with hipped slate roof. Recessed centre, 3 windows wide, with later iron verandahs, between 2-storey canted bay to west and 2-storey square bay under high chateau roof to east. Windows all have segmental heads with big keystones and monstrously big bracketed 'shoulder stones', which sit on vestigial block capitals. Blocky stringcourses at 3 different levels. Spandrels below sills recessed, with projecting stone panels. Square bay windows tripartite, with mullions on big bases and plinth, shoulder brackets forming tulip-shaped capitals. Eaves cornice with big brackets (removed from canted bay and centre); chimneys of Italianate type, coupled, on high bases, with stepped-out capping and pyramidal top to stacks. Similar wing to west added 1803, 3 windows wide. Further western extension circa 1880, said to be by Sir Arthur Blomfield, with regular segment-headed 1st floor windows (tripartite in projecting end pavilion ); wings to north of 2 storeys and 4 storeys, hipped roofs. Lamb's north front, much altered and extended, preserves original entrance front, 3 windows wide, with 4th window bay projecting, same detailing. Projecting kitchen and service wing of irregular composition: doorway with segmental head (keystone and shoulder stones) on brackets and chamfered jambs, 1st floor pair of segmental windows gathered under very wide segmental arch (quasi-lunette).

Listing NGR: SZ0830491436

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 08304 91436

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108822 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2017 at 06:39:19.

End of official listing