THROOP UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108843
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1976
Statutory Address:
THROOP UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, MUSCLIFF LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THROOP UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108843 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 08:36:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
THROOP UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, MUSCLIFF LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bournemouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 10712 95977

Details

1. 5186 MUSCLIFFE LANE (North Side) Throop United Reformed Church and Sunday School SZ l095 24/227

II

2. 18l9, originally Congregational. Stucco front, Regency Gothic, with 3 windows to gallery of Y-tracery, over Victorian lean-to narthex with gabled doorway. Single-storey annexe with doorway and another Y-tracery window. Sides have 2 tiers of uniform Y-tracery window in whitewashed brick, bars of Y-timber, horizontal bars iron. Attached at rear and at right-angles, Sunday School of 1830, rebuilt and enlarged 1860 in red-brick Italian-medieval: pedimental gable with notched brick outline, walls with vitrified headers, windows on flank round-arched and in pairs, separated by pilaster strips. Annexe at right-angles with round-arched pair and 'porthole' in gable. Interior of chapel unspoilt: walls pale blue, windows deeply splayed, thin cornice, deep coving to ceiling outlined by roll-moulding. West gallery with panelled front (pilasters and coved cornice) on 2 chamfered columns. East wall has tripartite panel with arched centre, no doubt originally for Creed and Commandments. Victorian pews, pitchpine.

Listing NGR: SZ1071295977

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101795
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06565/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Wiles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].