GRAVESTONES TO TREGONWELL CAMPBELL AND SHELLEY FAMILIES AND TO VICARS OF ST PETERS IN CHURCHYARD OF ST PETERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1108868

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1974

Statutory Address: GRAVESTONES TO TREGONWELL CAMPBELL AND SHELLEY FAMILIES AND TO VICARS OF ST PETERS IN CHURCHYARD OF ST PETERS, HINTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRAVESTONES TO TREGONWELL CAMPBELL AND SHELLEY FAMILIES AND TO VICARS OF ST PETERS IN CHURCHYARD OF ST PETERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108868 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 11:03:09.

Location

Statutory Address: GRAVESTONES TO TREGONWELL CAMPBELL AND SHELLEY FAMILIES AND TO VICARS OF ST PETERS IN CHURCHYARD OF ST PETERS, HINTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bournemouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SZ 08927 91204

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5186 HINTON ROAD (East Side) Gravestones to Tregonwell, Campbell and Shelley families, and to vicars of St Peters, in churchyard of St Peters. SZ 0891 13/1D 1.8.74.

II GV

2. White marble altar tomb on terrace beside churchyard steps erected circa 1853 by Percy Bysshe Shelley's son to contain the poet's heart and the bodied of his parents-in-law, William and Mary Godwin, brought here from St Pancras Churchyard (London), and of his wife, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (died 1851). Next to it, Gothic stone altar tomb of Mrs Maria Campbell (died 1860): pink marble colonnettes at corners, dog-tooth round inscription panel, foliage carving at ends and under eaves. Just below, the gravestones of several vicars, including the first, Alexander Morden Bennett (died 1880): crosses at head and foot, one with roundel of chalice. On next higher 'landing' of steps the Perpendicular style panelled altar tomb of Bournemouth's founder, Lewis Tregonwell, erected 1846.

The Church of St Peter, Churchyard Cross, Lychgate, Chapel of the Resurrection, and 2 groups of gravestones form a group.

Listing NGR: SZ0892791204

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 101760

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing