ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1108880

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1974

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART, ALBERT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108880 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 09:28:08.

Location

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART, ALBERT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bournemouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SZ 08657 91278

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. ALBERT ROAD 5l86 (South East Side) Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart SZ O891 13/136 1.8.74.

II GV

2. 1872-4, Henry Clutton, enlarged and externally remodelled 1896-8 by A J Pilkington. Interior preserves most of Clutton: 3-bay arcades, Early French double-columns with shaft-rings and simplified capitals. Crossing arches similar, but clustered columns on foliage corbels. North aisle with transverse half-arches as buttresses, south aisle with gables at right-angles. Nave roof boarded, with big kingposts. East end all by Pilkington: short chancel, with east wall panelled in marble as background for reredos by P P Pugin, with 3 spirelets over statues, 8 smaller niches. Altar rail of strange Renaissance design (? Clutton): openwork brass foliage, with white marble portrait medallions of Jesuit saints, in shallow bow. North chapel with tieceron vault and Spanish Gothic altar of the Assumption (192l-2). South chapel, wooden vault, another canopied reveals. Externally, tower by Clutton: buff brick and stone with straight-headed transomed and traceried belfry windows, cornice with globules and pyramid spire of banded slate. Remainder by Pilkington, in rock-faced Portland stone, except for Clutton's aisle gables (Perpendicular tracery). Windowless gable to chancel with canopied niches, on high basement (Catholic Institute).

The Presbytery and Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred heart form a group.

Listing NGR: SZ0865791278

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 101700

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing