Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108883.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 11:44:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 09090 90887


1. BATH ROAD 5l86 (East Side) Royal Bath Hotel SZ 099O 19/168 1.8.74.


2. 1837-8, Benjamin Ferrey for Sir George Tapps-Gervis, vastly extended 1878-80 by C C Creeke for hotelier Sir Merton Russell-Cotes. Stucco classical, 2 and 3 storeys, varied silhouette. Ferrey's hotel survives in main entrance wing at south end: composition of centre and wings is his, with tripartite 1st floor window framed by Ionic columns. Creeke added 2nd floor to centre, with Corinthian columns, also projecting corner pavilions with canted bays and recessed chateau roofs of patterned slate (iron cresting). Garden side also symmetrical with central bow under conical roof, conservatory across front. To north, street front has facade, 5 windows wide, in Barry-Italianate: rusticated ground floor, triangular pediments to lst floor windows, segmental pediments to 2nd floor windows, balustraded parapet. Beyond it, Buttery entrance under narrow segmental pediment between canted bays, followed by long 2-storey Casino Club, with 3 spired tourelles, patterned slates, moulded corbel- bases. On garden side big later extension with another conical-roofed bow between polygonal towers with short spires. Recent block to north-east. For Russell-Cotes Museum, see Russell-Cotes Road.

Listing NGR: SZ0909090887


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04847/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Fenwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].