This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1108915

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, HALL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sutton cum Duckmanton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 79385

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 46 NW PARISH OF SUTTON CUM DUCKMANTON HALL LANE 2/37 (East Side) 31.1.67 Church of St Mary GV II*

Church. Early C14, C15 and C17. Coursed sandstone with sandstone dressings. Slate and lead roofs. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, and chancel with north aisle. Perp west tower of two stages, divided by a stringcourse beneath the bell openings. The tower is engaged by the nave to the east and has diagonal buttresses to the west. 2-light bell openings with hoodmoulds and panel tracery. Stringcourse above with gargoyles and battlements with four diminutive pinnacles. South elevation, left to right: 2-light early C14 window with curvilinear tracery. Above, and to the right, a C17 window of two semi-circular headed lights beneath a square head. C14 porch with double-chamfered arch with hoodmould. To the right, a 3-light window with reticulated tracery. Chancel with battlements, pinnacles and buttresses, a 3-light window with geometric tracery and a 2-light window with reticulated tracery. North aisle windows of three and four round-headed lights beneath flat arches, probably C17. Interior with a C14 north arcade of five bays with octagonal piers and capitals and double chamfered arches. West gallery of 1738 with raised and fielded panels. In the north aisle, three late C18 prayer boards. Screen with five semi-circular cusped arches. C17 communion rails with turned balusters. Panelled dado around the sanctuary and in the north aisle. Incised slab to John Foljambe 1499 and a wall tablet with bust to Samuel Pierrepont 1707.

Listing NGR: SK4421268878

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 44212 68878

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108915 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2017 at 10:16:48.

End of official listing