HEADSTOCKS TO BRITTAIN COLLIERY AND ATTACHED MACHINERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1109011
Date first listed:
25-May-1988
Statutory Address:
HEADSTOCKS TO BRITTAIN COLLIERY AND ATTACHED MACHINERY, BUTTERLEY PARK ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109011.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 18:01:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
HEADSTOCKS TO BRITTAIN COLLIERY AND ATTACHED MACHINERY, BUTTERLEY PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Amber Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Ripley
National Grid Reference:
SK 41550 51795

Details

SK 45 SW RIPLEY BUTTERLEY PARK ROAD (north side)

4/66 Headstocks to Brittain Colliery and attached machinery

GV II

Headstock tower and attached machinery. c1848. Red brick with blue brick bands. Roofless at time of resurvey. Three storeys, single bay, circular in plan. Ground floor is wider than upper two storeys and has an advanced entrance to south side and attached walls to north. Second storey has small iron windows to east and west sides and top storey has brick cornice and large pulley wheel to south side set in long slot-like opening. Attached to the wheel are a pair of iron supports at right angles to the tower which connect with the plinth on which the gearing machinery stands. Brittain colliery was founded by Butterley Company, between 1845 and 1848, and was mined for over 50 years. F Nixon 'Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire' 1969.

Listing NGR: SK4155051795

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
79110
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Nixon, F, Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire, (1969)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16997/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].