This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1109012

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ripley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-May-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 79113

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 35 SE RIPLEY CHURCH STREET (north side)

3/69 Church of All Saints

II

Parish church. 1821, built by the Butterley Company, restored 1951 and baptistery added 1921. Coursed squared gritstone with ashlar dressings and slate roof with stone coped gables on gableted kneelers, plus ridge finials. Coved eaves band to nave. 5 bay nave with south-west tower, single bay chancel with baptisteryto north- east. Plinth. Gabled west end of nave has three stepped double chamfered lancets flanked by stepped gableted buttresses and with stepped angle buttresses to corners. Central moulded circular window above in the gable. North nave elevation has wide bay to west with two double chamfered lancets flanked by stepped buttresses, and 4 pointed 2-light cusped traceried windows to east, that to far east now blocked by 1921 baptistery of no special interest. North chancel elevation also blocked by baptistery. East window of 3-lights with geometric tracery has small moulded circular window above in the gable and flanking buttresses. South elevation has a trefoil-headed lancet and pointed door to chancel and four pointed 2-light windows, similar to those to north, to nave, which projects forward from the chancel. Stepped buttresses between bays and to east corner. To west end is the three stage tower with full height stepped angle buttresses. First stage has moulded pointed south door with inner moulding on nook-shafts with foliage capitals and angled staircase turret to west side. Continuous moulded sill string-course above and three adjoining trefoil-headed lancets with continuous hoodmould, lancets to either side blind. Above, bell stage has chamfered band to base and large pointed moulded arches to each side with three stepped trefoil-headed lancets within, lancets to either side with louvres and central one with circular clock faces to top decorated with cusped dagger motifs. Clock faces made of cast iron, designed by John Alleyne. Cornice with ballflower decoration over and embattled parapets. All openings have hoodmoulds with foliage stops except four south nave windows from the tower, western blind arcaded gallery on iron columns and tall double chamfered pointed chancel arch with soffit on foliage corbels and hoodmould. Caernarvon arched doorcase from chancel to baptistery. Arched braced roof trusses on foliage corbels to nave and scissor trusses to chancel. Fittings mostly late C19 or early C20. Octagonal stone font with blind trefoil headed panels to stem and blind quatrefoil to sides of bowl. Unusual Art Nouveau style polygonal pulpit in alabaster and green marble and similar style war memorial. Three early C19 brass plaques and later C19 marble wall memorials. Coloured glass to nave windows, c1950 east window.

Listing NGR: SK3986750600

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/61445

National Grid Reference: SK 39867 50600

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109012 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2017 at 06:32:46.

End of official listing