ALFRETON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1109028

Date first listed: 25-May-1988

Statutory Address: ALFRETON HALL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALFRETON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109028 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 04:24:49.

Location

Statutory Address: ALFRETON HALL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Alfreton

National Grid Reference: SK 40618 55766

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 40 55 NE ALFRETON CHURCH STREET (south side) 8/6 Alfreton Hall

GV II

Remains of county house, now education centre. 1898. Ashlar with hipped slate roof and rear external, corniced ashlar stacks. Two storeys and 11 bays, 2 western bays lower and greatly recessed,single bay to east slightly recessed and bays 4, 5 and 6 also slightly recessed. Deep moulded plinth, rusticated full height pilasters to corners and between bays 8 and 9 and moulded eaves cornice which breaks forward over the pilasters, plus balustrade with square piers over the pilasters and vase shaped balusters between. Also large pedimented panel over doorcase to bay 5. Datestone, to base of pilaster between bays 8 and 9 inscribed 'CRPM, PMPM, RCAPM, CWSPM, July 1st 1898. Bays 4, 5 and 6 have loggia to ground floor with 3 moulded and rusticated semicircular headed arches on large impost blocks supported by 4 Tuscan columns. Triglyphed frieze over and moulded cornice. Behind, there are central double glazed, panelled doors below divided overlight flanked by full height plain sashes. Three similar sashes to west and 4 similar to east plus inserted doors to bay 8. Above 11 similar sashes. All openings in moulded archi- traves, first floor window above the doorcase to bay 5 also with pulvinated frieze and pediment. Thin stringcourse above first floor windows from bays 3 to 10. Interior has oak panelling, large fireplaces with oak overmantles and plasterwork ceilings to 2 ground floor rooms and eastern bedrooms. Moulded cornices and marble fireplaces elsewhere. This building is all that remains of a much larger county house of c1724-5 for George Morewood by Francis Smith of Warwick, which was demolished

Listing NGR: SK4061855766

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 79049

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing