This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE GARDENS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GARDENS

List entry Number: 1109144

Location

THE GARDENS, SHIPLEY PARK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Shipley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78822

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF SHIPLEY SHIPLEY PARK ROAD SK 44 SW 5/44 (East Side) 14.10.74 The Gardens

GV II

House, now offices. 1882, built for the Miller-Mundys of Shipley Hall. Red brick with stone dressings, quoins and bands, plus jettied timber frame first floor with diagonal brick nogging, and plaster infill to the top of the gables. Steeply pitched red clay tile roofs with wide overhanging eaves and bargeboarded gables. Brick ridge stacks with stone bands and cornice, and raised vertical brick bands. Two storeys and two bays by two bays. In style of Nesfield and Norman Shaw. South elevation has two gabled bays, that to west slightly advanced. Eastern bay has central 3-light recessed and cavetto moulded mullion window with four-centred arched lights and incised spandrels. Similar style 5-light bow window to west. Above, two 4-light timber mullion windows and jettied gables with cambered ties and decorative timber- work. West gable has a central plaster plaque with crest of Miller- Mundy family dated 1882, and inscribed 'EMM'. West elevation has an advanced gabled bay to north with 4-light mullion window, similar to those on south elevation to ground floor. Attached to south is a lower gabled porch, open to ground floor with four- centred arch on octagonal piers and also with carved spandrels, supporting the upper room. Doorcase behind has four-centred arched head and a plank door with elaborate hinges. To south is a small four-centred arched window, and beyond is a 2-light window, also with four-centred arched lights. Northern bay has 4-light timber mullion window above and porch has similar 2-light window. Above again, jettied gables with decorative timberwork. Interior has panelled doors and stick baluster staircase.

Listing NGR: SK4358144214

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 43581 44214

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109144 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 11:06:48.

End of official listing