This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1109271

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, RAKES LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tissington and Lea Hall

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Sep-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 80409

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 17 52 PARISH OF TISSINGTON RAKES LANE 11/139 (East Side)

13.9.1967 Church of St Mary

GV II*

Church. C12 and 1854, perhaps by Stevens. Coursed limestone with gritstone dressings. Slate roofs. Lead roof to north aisle. Nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel and west tower. Heavily buttressed west tower of four stages with dentil corbels and plain parapet with C19 corner pinnacles. Buttresses to the top of the second stage, one to the north, two each to west and south sides, of varying height and profile. Top stage has a square bell opening to each face. On the south side to the second stage is a narrow C12 lancet with roll moulding. Above the bell opening is a gargoyle. Nave and chancel south side, left to right. Buttress with three set-offs. Small 2-light window with pointed but slightly rounded lights under a flat head with dripmould. 2-light much restored Dec window above with flat head and cusped ogee lights. Linked at intermediate height to the right a single light window with round-arched tracery under a flat head with dripmould. Gabled porch with semi-circular arch with chamfered imposts and quoins. Six panelled raised and fielded double doors. To the right, a C19 narrow single semi-circular headed lancet and a wider single light window with semi-circular arch standing on colonnettes. To the right a wall memorial with draped urn, 1838. The chancel is lower and narrower. Wall memorial with draped urn, 1791. Neo-Norman single light window with roll moulding and hoodmould with stops. Sundial. The whole of the south side has battlements. East wall with a single neo-Norman window with a roll moulding on colonnettes and hoodmould with stops. The chancel north side with battlements and a single window, as on the south side. North aisle entirely of 1854 with four neo-Norman lancet lights with continuous roll mouldings. Four similar, but much smaller, windows to the clerestory. Plain parapet to the aisle, plain parapet on corbels to the clerestory. North aisle, east window is the same as the north windows but the west window is more elaborate with an inner order of zig zag and an outer order of a roll moulding on colonnettes. Hoodmould with billet moulding and stops. Interior - Four bay north arcade. Round piers with round abaci. Arches with two steps. Tripartite windows in the north aisle with smaller blind windows each side of the window. Norman chancel arch. Monument to Francis and Sir John Fitzherbert, died 1619 and 1643 respectively. Two tiers of kneeling figures. Columns at the angles, Ionic below, Corinthian above. Achievement and obelisks at the top. Other C17 to C19 monuments to the Fitzherberts. Early C17 communion rails with turned balusters. C18 pulpit. Painted board with coat of arms, one above the south door and one above the chancel arch. Two C18 prayer boards. Panelled dado along the south wall. Norman, tub-shaped font with incised animals.

Listing NGR: SK1764852276

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 17648 52276

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109271 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 08:02:50.

End of official listing