Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1109692

Date first listed: 13-Sep-1967



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109692 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 06:15:59.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)

Parish: Shirley

National Grid Reference: SK 21887 41656


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SK 24 SW PARISH OF SHIRLEY CHURCH LANE 5/90 (East Side) 13.9.67 Church of St Michael GV II*

Parish Church. C14, 1842 and 1861. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone dressings. Lead roofs with stone coped gables, plain coped parapets to aisles, porch with plain and fishscale tile roof. West tower, aisled nave and chancel, west tower of three stages divided by chamfered string courses. Angle buttresses, battlements and pinnacles, west window of two trefoil headed lancets. 2-light window above with cusped Y-tracery, similar 2-light bell-openings to each face. The tower is said to have been rebuilt in 1861. North aisle of 1842 with 2-light Dec style windows with hoodmoulds,one each to east and west and two to the north side. Angle buttresses. Reset in the east wall a carved C12 stone with beasts and birds, perhaps from a lintel. The south aisle is genuine C14, with a 3-light east window, with three lancets rising to a pair of intersecting ogees and rising again to enclose an elongated quatrefoil 2-light west window with cusped Y-tracery. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses. To the right a 2-light window with a distorted quatrefoil. The south aisle has angle buttresse C14 chancel with diagonal buttresses, blind north wall, and a segmental pointed-arched east window of three cusped lancet lights. Hoodmould with head stops. The south side has two 2-light windows with segmental pointed arches and crude cusped lights. Hoodmoulds on head stops. Between them, a C13 priest's door with chamfer and continuous roll moulding. Hoodmould on head stops.Studded plank door The chancel and aisle windows are deeply set within a broad chamfer. South doorway with a chamfer and a roll moulding. Two bay south arcade with an octagonal pier and double chamfered arches dying into the imposts. Two bay north arcade with octagonal pier and semi-octagonal responds.Double chamfered arches. Double chamfered chancel arch without capitals. Box pews in nave and aisles with simple Gothic tracery in the panelled ends. Open Gothic arcaded West gallery on two slender iron columns. Pews and gallery probably of 1842. Monuments, in the north aisle a plain tablet to Arthur Shevington c1850 by Hall of Derby. Oval tablet to William Pegge c1768. Large tripartile Gothic memorial with texts under crocketed ogee canopies c1847 by Hall. Tablet in the chancel to Frederick Corfield c1883 by R Drake of Nottingham. Honora Michell c1864 by Hall. In the south wall of the chancel a trefoil-arched piscina. Three identical tablets in the south aisle c1850 by Hall. The south aisle has a dado made from Jacobean panelling dated 1649. Trefoil headed piscina in the south aisle. Font, octagonal with shields and tracery motifs. In the chancel floor a late medieval incised slab to a priest.

Listing NGR: SK2188741656


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 81431

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing