Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109778.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:01:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 18163 35825


SK 13 NE PARISH OF BOYLESTON THE HOLLOW 5/6 (South Side) 13.9.67 Church of St John the Baptist GV II*

Parish church. Early C14, C15, restored in 1844 by Henry Duesbury. Ashlar sandstone with sandstone dressings. Slate roofs with lapped stone copings and moulded kneelers and ridge crosses to nave gables. Plinth, and plain parapets rising straight up from the walls with ridgeback copings to south aisle and south side of nave. Church has nave with south aisle and lower chancel, also south-western tower between aisle and nave. Nave western gable wall has stepped diagonal buttresses either side and two C19 adjoining central pointed windows, each 2-light with quatrefoil over trefoil headed lights. Continuous hoodmoulds over and sill band below. Above, in gable, a small blocked trefoil headed lancet with hoodmould. North elevation has blocked, pointed doorcase, now covered by stone crypt,and small pointed window just below the eaves to west. Two stepped buttresses with Y-tracery window with hoodmould between to east. Beyond to east, large C19 3-light pointed window with panel-type tracery. Stepped buttress to east end of nave,and beyond two similar, lower ones to chancel, with C14 pointed 2-light window with quatrefoil over trefoil headed lights to west. East window Perp with segment headed cusped lights and hoodmould over with carved labelstops. To either side corner buttresses. South chancel elevation has similar C14 window to north chancel elevation,to east and moulded pointed C14 doorcase to west beyond a stepped buttress. Two adjoining chamfered lancets beyond to west. Cusped Y-tracery nave aisle east window with hoodmould and carved labelstops, and two C14 2-light windows, similar to north chancel window to south wall of aisle. Buttress between and diagonal buttresses to either corner of aisle. To west-end of aisle is a three stage C19 tower,with chamfered four-centred arched doorcase under continuous hoodmould to west. Attached to south,a projecting staircase turret with similar doorcase to south and small slit windows over. Above, trefoil headed lancets to all sides with continuous sill band and clockface over southern lancet. In third stage each side has two chamfered adjoining louvred lancet bell openings with continuous hoodmoulds and flanking pilasters. Moulded eaves cornice over and scooped pyramidal stone spire with lucarnes to each side. Interior has early C14 two bay arcade with double chamfered arches and polygonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. C19 pointed chancel arch with attached columns and moulded capitals. C19 roofs to chancel and nave except for C16 tiebeam with carved central boss in nave and part of the original tiebeam in chancel incorporated in newer roof, inscribed with date 1595. Chancel has C19 stained glass east window, c1888 carved oak reredos, deeply moulded pointed C14 tomb niche with hoodmould to north and small chamfered piscina to east wall. 1844 box pews to north side of nave and later C19 pews to south. Mid C20 timber screen to west end of nave, making separate vestry. C14 octagonal font and various stone wall memorials in chancel and nave, including one of c1778 to Thomas Chawner and family to north side of nave.

Listing NGR: SK1816335825


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11506/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].