Church of St Chad
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- Church of St Chad, Long Lane
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109790.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:37:55.
- Statutory Address:
- Church of St Chad, Long Lane
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 21480 38322
SK 23 NW
PARISH OF LONGFORD LONG LANE (north side) Church of St Chad
GV I Parish church. C12, early C14, C15 and C16, with various minor restorations throughout C19. Sandstone, rubble to north aisles, ashlar elsewhere. Green slate nave roof, grey slate elsewhere, with stone coped gables and an eastern ridge cross to nave. Deep plinth with moulded copings to tower and chancel, continuous moulded sill band to chancel and embattled parapets with ridgeback copings to nave and tower. Two stage western tower, clerestoried nave with north and south aisles and lower chancel.
Tower is C15 and has almost full-height stepped angle buttresses to all corners. C19 west door set in cavetto moulded recess has central stone pillar flanked by flat headed doors with four-centred arched Y-traceried windows above, all set within a larger four-centred arch with cusped spandrels under flat hoodmould. Above, tall three-light C15 panel tracery window set in deep cavetto moulded surround with hoodmould over, South side of tower has small stairlight windows to west side and above central trefoil headed lancet. Above continuous moulded string course and pairs of cusped Y-tracery, louvred bell openings, set in deep cavetto moulded surrounds with continuous hoodmoulds to each face. Moulded string course over with corner and central gargoyles and parapets above.
West wall of north aisle is blank but north wall has rubble buttresses to either end and two Y-tracery windows with hoodmoulds to west, western one with cavetto mouldings. To east is a three-light intersecting tracery window, in deep cavetto moulded recess with hoodmould. Above four C16 two-light mullioned windows with cusped segment headed lights and incised spandrels, set in flat head recesses. Moulded string course above has two large gargoyles, and parapets over. East wall of aisle has blocked, pointed doorcase, now with 1760 memorial plaque over.
To east, chancel has three narrow pointed early C14 two-light windows with different designs of reticulated tracery, set in moulded recesses with hoodmoulds. Between western two is a double gableted stepped buttress. Two similar diagonal buttresses to either side of east window, except top gablets are crocketed. C19 east window has six-lights with two major mullions and central rose pattern to top. South chancel elevation similar to north elevation except for addition of small moulded pointed priests door, to west of buttress, with hoodmould and carved head labelstops.
South nave aisle has three-light intersecting tracery window in deep cavetto recess with hoodmould to east, with two wall memorials below to Joseph and Timothy Holme of 1747 and 1757. East and west corners of the aisle have angle buttresses, whilst south facade has to east, another three-light intersecting tracery window in moulded recess, and to west a chamfered Y-tracery window with hoodmould. Beyond to west is C19 gabled porch with pointed Early English style door. Above in clerestory, four similar windows to those on north elevation. Inner door is early C14 with keel moulded surround.
INTERIOR: four bay north arcade has three late C12 bays to west and an early C14 one to east, western ones have stepped semi-circular arches with chamfered hoods on plain columns with scalloped capitals, that to east has polygonal respond with moulded capital and pointed double chamfered arch. Four bay south arcade has C12 columns but was altered c.1300 when double-chamfered pointed arches built on moulded capitals. Chancel arch of similar date and style, whilst tower arch is C15, tall with moulded pointed arch and moulded capitals.
Chancel and nave roofs both C19, that to nave in C16 style. Chancel has bead moulded hoods with carved label stops and moulded sill band below, to north and south windows. To south side of chancel is a cusped pointed c1300 piscina with similar hood and labels and a triple sedilla of similar date, with cusped four-centred arches, divided by little pilasters and a painted coat of arms below the central seat. Similar C19 piscina to north side of chancel with painted coat of arms in quatrefoil below.
Choir stalls mostly C19, but with re-used medieval poppyheads; nave stalls C19 and plain, as is the pulpit. Altar rails and pulpit rail are late C19 and a combination of brass and ironwork. Font also C19, but possibly with re-used bowl. Stained glass only in north and south chancel windows where there are small medieval coats of arms in roundels.
Fine collection of tombs and memorials, mainly to the Longford and Coke families of Longford Hall. In the chancel, on the north wall, is a C15 tomb niche with pointed moulded arch with wavy cusping to inner edge and effigy of priest below with C19 head. Above, two large wall memorials, that to west to Thomas William Coke, died 1842, by Robert Hall of Derby with bust by Joseph Francis of London, set in gothic aedicule, that to east to his wife Anne Amelia, who died 1844, of white marble with relief carving of angels. To west end of north nave aisle various re-set effigies, including two Sir Nicholas de Longfords, who died c1350 and 1416 respectively, both are dressed in armour with lions under their feet. To east are another pair of c.1610, of Sir Nicholas de Longford and his wife. Above on the north wall is marble and slate classical wall memorial with scull and cross bones in segmental pediment to Richard Peacock who died 1764,and to the west is another memorial to Edward Coke, died 1727, a plain shouldered plaque with coat of arms above. To west wall of north aisle is another wall memorial of 1714 to Carolibyrch family. Also several early C18 floor slabs to the Peacock family. South nave aisle has early C15 crocketed ogee tomb niche to east, with crocketed side pilasters and flower decoration to underside of arch, below armoured knight with head on helmet, feet on lion and coat of arms to base. East wall has C13 gravestone with elaborate carved cross, whilst west wall has obelisk wall memorial to Edward Coke, with carved coat of arms to top, dated 1733. Also in south aisle another memorial, similar to Richard Peacocks, of 1682. Above chancel arch to either side, two painted coats of arms.
Listing NGR: SK2147738319
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing