This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1109804

Location

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hathersage

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 81192

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 23 81 PARISH OF HATHERSAGE MAIN ROAD (off) 6/44 12.7.67 Roman Catholic Church of St Michael GV II*

Roman Catholic Church. Early C18, extensively refashioned in 1806, and extended in 1860. The building incorporates the remains of a building known as the Mass House, supposedly sacked in 1688. Ashlar and coursed squared gritstone on a moulded plinth, with massive projecting quoins, projecting eaves band, coped gables and moulded kneelers. Three bay nave with C19 bellcote to south west gable and C19 chancel bay. South west elevation; massive circular window with heavily moulded and deeply recessed frame, and curved hood mould with stops beneath gabled bellcote. Heavily moulded doorcase to broad doorway, with shallow dripmould supported on scroll brackets. C20 plank doors. The nave windows have depressed semi-circular heads and heavily moulded and deeply recessed surrounds, with plain impost blocks and keystones, beneath curved hoodmoulds with stops. C19 2-light windows with cusped trefoil head beneath hoodmould with stops to gable, and semi-circular headed single light openings with projecting frames to side walls, together with small lancets. Interior; plain plastered interior, much altered, and with inserted gallery to south west end. Circular window to south west gable has C20 stained glass commemorating the Padley Martyrs, Nicholas Garlic and Robert Ludlam.

Listing NGR: SK2295281602

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 22952 81602

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109804 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 02:43:47.

End of official listing