This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

List entry Number: 1109834

Location

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stanton

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 81059

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 26 SW PARISH OF STANTON IN THE PEAK MAIN STREET 4/60 (South Side) Holy Trinity Church GV II

Parish church. 1838. Erected for William Pole Thornhill. Tooled, coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings, plain tile roofs with moulded copings and ridge cross to chancel, also plain deep plinth. Early English style, west steeple with nave, north and south transeptal chapels and lower chancel. Two stage western tower with recessed octagonal spire and double chamfered pointed western doorcase with heavy flat hoodmould and stepped diagonal buttresses either side. Above door, coat of arms of Thornhill family with the date, 1838, inscribed below. Above again, to all except east side, arrow slit, cross windows. Stepped plain stringcourse over with Y-tracery, pointed bell openings to east and west sides and clock faces to north and south. Stepped stringcourse and plain parapets above. The spire has two sets of lucarnes with a plain band between, and a ball and cross finial. North and south nave elevations identical with central transept chapels with 4-light intersecting tracery windows under heavy flat hoodmoulds and diagonal corner buttresses. To either side, in nave walls, Y-tracery pointed windows with similar hoodmoulds and trefoils between the Ys. Stepped corner buttresses to either ends of the nave. North chancel elevation has chamfered pointed doorcase to west end and similar Y-tracery window to those in nave, south chancel elevation similar, except without door. East window similar to transept windows. Interior has wide chamfered doorcase to nave and similar large arches to chancel and transept chapels. Ribbed, pointed roof and gallery to west, over door. Contemporary plain pews, pulpit and lectern. Contemporary stained glass to chancel and 1879 stained glass window to north side of nave. Several interesting wall memorials to Thornhill family, including good Florentine Quattrocento style memorial to Henry Bache Thornhill of c1860-70. Church dedication tablet housed in Florentine Quattrocento surround with tiers of praying angels, inscription reads 'This church was built by William Pole Thornhill Esq of Stanton in the Peak. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs Thornhill in 1837 and opened for divine service by the Venerable Francis Hodgson DD, Archdeacon of Derby in September 1839. It was constituted a parish church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and consecrated with the adjoining cemetery by the Right Rev George Selwyn, DD, Bishop of Lichfield on 29 September 1875. The Rev Arthur Wolfe Hamilton MA was appointed the first vicar of Stanton and Rowtor Chapel'. Holy water stoup, Italian, and dated 1596. Stations of cross set into nave walls. Early C19 octagonal stone font with cusped panels to each side on octagonal stem and moulded base in tower porch.

Listing NGR: SK2412364262

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 24123 64262

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109834 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 09:14:48.

End of official listing