This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TOWER ON STANTON MOOR, 280 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE CROFT, STANTON LEES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWER ON STANTON MOOR, 280 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE CROFT, STANTON LEES

List entry Number: 1109873

Location

TOWER ON STANTON MOOR, 280 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE CROFT, STANTON LEES, DUKE'S DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stanton

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 81047

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 26 SE PARISH OF STANTON IN THE PEAK DUKE'S DRIVE 5/48 (West Side) Tower on Stanton Moor, 12.7.67 280 metres north-west of The Croft, Stanton Lees II

Tower. 1832. Built for the Thornhill family of Stanton Hall. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings, quoins and plinth. Plain eaves band, plain parapets, formerly embattled, now only vestiges remain to south side. Single bay, square in plan and three storeys. East facade has four-centred, arched, ovolo moulded doorcase, now blocked up, with blank niche over, which formerly held plaque inscribed 'Earl Grey 1832' and decorated with coronet. Above, tall arrow slit, cross window. Similar over. Similar windows to other sides. Built to commemorate the passing of the Reform Bill, in honour of Earl Grey.

Listing NGR: SK2512963398

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK2512963398

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109873 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 11:24:15.

End of official listing