Church of St Michael

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1109887
Date first listed:
12-Jul-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St Michael, Main Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Michael
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109887.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:12:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Michael, Main Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Taddington
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 14128 71159

Details

SK 17 SW 2/74

PARISH OF TADDINGTON MAIN ROAD (north side) Church of St Michael

12.07.67

GV I Parish Church. C14 and 1891 by Naylor and Sale of Derby. Rubble limestone with gritstone dressings and quoins. Lead roofs with coped gables and parapets. Stone slate roof to porch. West steeple, clerestoried nave with aisles, north vestry and south porch. Chancel with north vestry.

Tower and broach spire of gritstone, early C14. Angle buttresses. Two narrow ogee-headed lights to west. Bell openings of paired ogee lights under a flat head, to north, west and south. Spire with two tiers of lucarnes.

South elevation: gabled porch with diagonal buttresses, moulded inner and outer doorways. Chamfered string course linking the sills of the windows. Buttresses with two set-offs. Two two-light windows to the aisle, deeply set with square heads and mid C14 tracery. Two similar windows to the chancel. Three-light south aisle east window with purely Decorated tracery. Low priest's doorway to the chancel. Three two-light clerestory windows with cusped ogee lights under a square head.

North elevation: two windows to the aisle and one to the chancel, similar to those on the south side, and three similar clerestory windows. North aisle east window of three lights with Decorated tracery. East window of five lights with Decorated tracery.

INTERIOR: tall four-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded octagonal abaci and double-chamfered arches. The east responds on head corbels. Double-chamfered chancel arch on head corbels. Modest double-chamfered tower arch. Earlier roof line visible above. In the chancel a piscina and triple sedilia, the latter with ogee arches. Jacobean pulpit restored in 1942. On the north side of the chancel a built-in C14 stone bible support or lectern. Brass in the south aisle to Richard Blackwall died 1505. In the south aisle a plain slate wall tablet to Sussana Roberts died 1833 by J Bradbury of Bakewell.

Octagonal font in the south aisle, probably C17. Font in the north aisle C14 or earlier. At the west end of the north aisle two Benefaction boards dated 1773 and 1799. C17 oak chest in the north aisle, Victorian Gothic wooden lectern. Traces of wall painting on the west wall.

The church was restored by Naylor and Sale in 1891. The north west vestry was built in 1939 using old materials from 'Thornsett', a C16 house in Chelmorton.

Listing NGR: SK1412871159

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
80986
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01705/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr CA Packham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].