This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GREEN HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS AND GATE PIERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GREEN HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS AND GATE PIERS

List entry Number: 1109893

Location

GREEN HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS AND GATE PIERS, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Birchover

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 80998

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 26 SW PARISH OF BIRCHOVER THE GREEN 4/1 (South Side) Green House and attached garden walls and gate piers 12.7.67 II*

House. 1774 with minor C20 repairs. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings and chamfered quoins. Stone slate roof with stone gable end stacks and stone coped gables. Plinth and moulded eaves cornice, raised at corners over quoins. Three storeys, three bays, L-plan with staircase in rear wing. Central moulded door- case with raised keystone, plain entablature with moulded hood and glazed panelled door. To either side, glazing bar sashes in flush surrounds with raised fillet to edge. Above, two similar with central circular traceried window between. Above again, three small glazing bar sashes with similar surrounds to those below, except central one has extra moulding. East gable wall has lead gutter with hopper head inscribed 'GB 1774'. West elevation of rear wing has large Venetian staircase window. Original leaded lights to 2-light windows on east elevation of rear wing. Interior has fine, turned baluster dog-legged staircase, with wide, ramped, moulded handrail, through three floors. Moulded cornices and decorative plasterwork bosses to front rooms on ground and first floors. First floor east room has carved classical stone fireplace, ground floor east room has large bracketed stone fireplace with fluted brackets. Original panelled doors throughout with original locks. Attached to either side of south elevation, coursed squared gritstone garden walls with flat copings. To either side near the house, flush quoined doorcases with plank doors, beyond, to south, walls ramp downwards. Attached to rear wing, low rubble wall with pair of gate piers to end, square in plan and rusticated with moulded cornices, both partly buried.

Listing NGR: SK2377462084

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 23774 62084

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 11:17:02.

End of official listing