This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY NAME OF JESUS, ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY NAME OF JESUS, ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1109897

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY NAME OF JESUS, ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, ROWTOR LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Birchover

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 81003

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 26 SW PARISH OF BIRCHOVER ROWTOR LANE 4/6 (South Side) Church of the Holy Name of 12.7.67 Jesus, St Michael and All Angels (formerly listed as 'Church of St Michael') II

Parish church. c1717, partly rebuilt c1869 and chancel added, various C20 alterations. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings and quoins, plinth and moulded sill bands. Plain tile roofs with moulded stone coped gables and ridge crosses at east gables of chancel and nave. Partly corbelled out octagonal bellcote to nave west gable with pointed arches to four sides, moulded sill band and string- course, topped by spirelet. West porch,nave and lower chancel. West porch has ovolo moulded basket arched doorcase to south with egg and dart moulding to top, various carvings to side and C20 studded wooden door. Blank north elevation. 3- light intersecting traceried east window with central quatrefoil to top, and bold plain hoodmould. South elevation, to nave, has three, moulded 2-light windows of c1717 which were then changed to Y-tracery pointed windows in 1869. Interior has pointed chamfered doorcase to nave with dogtooth decoration and wide chamfered chancel arch, curved wooden roof on pillar corbels and C19 pews with later carved poppyheads added. Octagonal, marble font, probably C20. Pulpit very ornately carved wood by former rector, dated 1949. Also two wooden charity boards of 1773. Wall memorial in marble to John Gresley of 1795. Windows to south have C20 stained glass by Brian Clark.

Listing NGR: SK2357962106

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/14405

National Grid Reference: SK 23579 62106

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109897 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 10:15:10.

End of official listing