This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PUBLIC LIBRARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PUBLIC LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1109946

Location

THE PUBLIC LIBRARY, COLLEGE ROAD
THE PUBLIC LIBRARY, HAWTHORN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Birmingham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jun-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469443

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 09 SE BIRMINGHAM COLLEGE ROAD (north side), Perry Common

3/10204 The Public Library

II

Includes: The Public Library, HAWTHORN ROAD Perry Common Public Library. 1934 by J P Osbourne for Birmingham City Council. Red brick on steel frame. Fan-shaped plan on corner site, mainly of one storey with raised central area over issue desk, but with second storey to front and sides not visible externally. Roof not seen. Concave front to corner with central, original timber outer doors with bronze knockers in fluted stone surround under round brick arch and keystone. The tympanum has stone reliefs of the lamp of knowledge flanked by books. Splayed side walls with seven small paned windows under gauged brick heads with keystone. The interior survives remarkably completely. Octagonal entrance hall with cream and green tiles, and art deco style ceiling with concealed lighting trough. Terrazzo floor under carpet. Original metal windows and timber doors lead in and out of the main lending library. 1934 issue desk, whence are sightlines round the fan-shaped library space, with original bookstacks placed radially and against walls. Lower wing has children's library with original bookcases; the opposite wing was formerly the reading room and is now the community room, with panelling. Simple but stylised timber stair leads to staff areas on first floor. Single-storey staff range at rear has curved corridor with green tiled walls. Included as a deceptively elaborate and complete example of a 1930s' public library. The art deco entrance hall and number of surviving original fittings are most unusual.





Listing NGR: SP0851293082

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 08512 93082

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109946 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2017 at 08:03:35.

End of official listing