Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109949.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2021 at 19:13:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City of Westminster (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26998 80981


TQ 2680 NW 1900/66/10091

STRATHEARN PLACE, W2 No.10A, Victoria Public House


GV II Public House, c.1840-50, the interior much remodelled c.1897-8, with embellishment 1955-8 particularly to upper rooms perhaps by Bryan and Nonnan Westwood. Stuccoed brick, slate roofs.

Rounded frontage on acutely angled corner site, four storeys high plus basement, with two further bays to Strathearn Place and one to Sussex Place. The exterior with high parapet and moulded bands. The upper floors have twelve-light glazing bar sashes in moulded architrave surrounds, save for that in the first-floor bow, which is tripartite with brackets and an ironwork balcony. Similar style windows to ground-floor bars. Cast-iron spearhead railings.

Interiors. The long, narrow bar was originally divided into a corner snug at its Sussex Place end, of which partition a fragment remains. The other areas formed two semi-defined lounges, all set around a long counter with original pilastered front, frieze (painted with scenes of Queen Victoria's life, including her Diamond Jubilee) supported on columns. Bar back with columns and cornice, continued on former public side as walling with elaborate decorative glass. Other walls with dado panelling, inset above which are prints and tiles. Saloon on Stratheam Place side with corner cupboards either side of elaborate fireplace and overrmantle mirror with foliate decoration. Corner area adapted as Saloon 1955, when neo-Adamesque fireplace installed.

On the first floor, Theatre Bar installed c.1958 from Shaw, Runtz and Ford's Gaiety Theatre (1902-3, demolished). Balcony fronts supported on Corinthian columns line the walls. Cornr counter set with boards from the shows, one signed Westwood Brothers suggesting that Bryan and Nonnan Westwood (working nearby at the time) may have been the architects for the installation. Bar back depicts the Gaiety .Two small box fronts in corners. Dining room adapted after 1955 in neo-Queen Anne style, with panelling, fireplace and corner cupboards decorated with swags. These fittings may well also come from the Gaiety.

The Victoria, Stratheam Place is of interest as a remarkably complete public house interior of the 1890s, to which the identified embellishments from the much lamented Gaiety Theatre add interest, both in their own right and as a rare surviving indication of the interest in Victoriana, particularly as expressed in pub interiors, that was beginning to emerge in the late 1950s.

Listing NGR: TQ2699880981


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/14852/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].