GUARD HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, WYVERN BARRACKS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1109979

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1998

Statutory Address: Guard House and attached Wall, Wyvern Barracks, Topsham Road, Exeter

Map

Ordnance survey map of GUARD HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, WYVERN BARRACKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 07:40:15.

Location

Statutory Address: Guard House and attached Wall, Wyvern Barracks, Topsham Road, Exeter

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Exeter (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SX 93298 91247

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 9391 871/15/10022

EXETER, TOPSHAM ROAD (North East side), Guard House and attached Wall, Wyvern Barracks

GV II

Formerly known as: Topsham Barracks TOPSHAM ROAD. Stable and guard house, with attached wall, now lock up and store. 1800-1804, for the Ordnance Board, extended late C19-early C20. Flemish bond brick with local red conglomerate base, English bond extension, with a slate hipped roof. PLAN: single-depth former stable with rear extension. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 4-window range, with single storey 2:3-window rear side range. Front 2-storey former stable has small segmental-arched cell lights, with 2 more to the first floor either side of a central 6/6-pane sash in the raised upper section; right-hand return has a cantilevered granite external stair to a first-floor doorway. Lower rear extension has projecting 3-window section fronted by an iron 4-bay verandah with 3 wide segmental-arched metal-framed windows above. INTERIOR: contains original cells with heavy doors. SUBSIDIAR Y FEATURES: attached high brick wall on squared conglomerate stone base enclosed former exercise yard to the SW; with a blocked entrance from the street. HISTORY: shown on mid C19 plan as officers' stable, with the later lock-up an important functional element within the barracks. Part of the former Topsham barracks, the most complete small artillery barracks of the Napoleonic War with France. Included for its historical interest with the Headquarters building and former Royal Artillery Drivers' barracks (qqv). (James Colonel H: Plan of Artillery Barracks Exeter: 1813-1866).



Listing NGR: SX9329891247

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469523

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing