This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER SOUTH EAST GUNNERS BARRACKS (BUILDING 1), WYVERN BARRACKS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER SOUTH EAST GUNNERS BARRACKS (BUILDING 1), WYVERN BARRACKS

List entry Number: 1109981

Location

Former South East Gunners' barracks (Building 1), Wyvern Barracks, Topsham Road, Exeter

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Exeter

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469525

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 9391 871/15/10026

EXETER, TOPSHAM ROAD (North side), Former SE Gunners' barracks (Building 1), Wyvern Barracks

GV II

Formerly known as: Topsham barracks TOPSHAM ROAD. Artillery gunner's barracks, now barracks and offices. 1806, by James Wyatt for the Ordnance Board. Rendered brick with slate hipped roof. Single-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2-storey; 7 -window range. Plain front facing former square with a doorway 3 windows from the Wend with a plate-glass overlight and C20 door; 6/6-pane ground-floor and 8/8-pane first-floor sashes, earlier ones without horns; similar opposite side. The brick inner return to the former main entrance has a central doorway with sashes either side and above, and a C20 verandah. INTERIOR: altered mid C20; dogleg stairs lead from entrance. HISTORY: one of a pair of barracks for RA gunner/drivers, with Building 11 (qv), which formed the S perimeter to the former Artillery barracks. Originally L-shaped with an officers' section flanking the entrance, now demolished. Although altered, it is included as part of the most complete small artillery barracks of the Napoleonic War , defining with the former Officer's range opposite (qv) the central parade square and the original layout of the barracks. (Transactions of the Devon Association for Advancement of Science: Breihall Professor J: Army Barracks in Devon during the Revolutionary & Napoleonic War: 1990-: 150;James Colonel H: Plan of Artillery barracks Exeter: 1813-1866).



Listing NGR: SX9336691190

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Breihan, J, 'Proceedings of Devon Association for the Advancement of Science' in Army Barracks in Devon during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic War, (1990), 150

National Grid Reference: SX 93366 91190

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109981 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 02:33:03.

End of official listing