This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GYMNASIUM, ST GEORGES BARRACKS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GYMNASIUM, ST GEORGES BARRACKS

List entry Number: 1109982

Location

GYMNASIUM, ST GEORGES BARRACKS, MUMBY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Gosport

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469526

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GOSPORT SU 6100 MUMBY ROAD (South side) 1137-0/5/10016 Gymnasium, St George's Barracks

GV II

Gymnasium. Dated 1868. Yellow stock brick and slate roof Rectangular single-depth plan with S changing rooms. EXTERIOR: single storey; 10-window range. Rusticated brick clasping pilasters and an eaves cornice, with round-arched metal-framed windows in matching recesses, 3:4:3 to the sides, the N gable has 3 blind stepped arches with single-storey porch at N end with rusticated quoins, and the S entrance front has central door with round-arched windows above and to each side with paired narrow lights. INTERIOR: has a timber trussed roof, and changing rooms and viewing gallery at the S end. HISTORY: gyms were ordered to be built at barracks in 1862, to raise the physical standard of the troops, and were designed by Royal Engineer officers. This is one of the earliest surviving examples, with several architectural similarities with the large Brompton Barracks gym at Gillingham; it formerly had a large octagonal lantern and 2 tall stacks at each side. The barracks were built following the Crimean War .This is the only example of this type of barracks in the country, forming a complete group with the Lines earthworks, and marking Gosport's importance in the defences around the Portsmouth dockyard. (Harfield A: The Gosport Barracks, sometimes known as "New Barracks": Gosport: 1988-: 16-21; Journal of the United Services Institute: Maclaren A: Military Gymnasium 1865-: 217; Plan and Elevation: 1868-: PRO, WORK 41/212).



Listing NGR: SU5870301371

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harfield, A, The Gosport Barracks Sometimes Known As New Barracks, (1988), 16-21
Maclaren, A , 'Journal of the United Services Institute' in Military Gymnasia, (1865), 217

National Grid Reference: SU 61742 00153

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109982 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 11:27:57.

End of official listing