Church of St Lawrence

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1110019
Date first listed:
12-Jul-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St Lawrence, Church Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Lawrence
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110019.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:04:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Lawrence, Church Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Eyam
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 21774 76417

Details

SK 21 76 6/30

PARISH OF EYAM CHURCH STREET (north side) Church of St Lawrence

12-7-67 GV II* Parish Church. C13, C15, partly rebuilt 1619. North aisle and chancel restored by Street 1868-69. South aisle and porch rebuilt by J.D Webster, 1882-83. Coursed squared and coursed rubble gritstone. Limestone rubble to chancel. Gritstone dressings. Plinth. C20 concrete tile roof to chancel, others leaded. Stone coped gables. Ridge crosses to east of chancel and nave. Plain parapets with moulded copings to nave aisle, embattled C15 parapets to clerestory. West tower,clerestoried nave, nave aisles, chancel, north vestry and south porch.

Two stage western tower with stepped diagonal buttresses to western corners. C19, two-light cusped, pointed west window with scotia moulding, copy of bell openings above. Over, datestone inscribed 'CW TB WC TC PT7CH 1619 15 MAR'. Attached to south side of tower two stone plaques, one of 1741 erected by Thomas Sheldon. Clock face over. Louvred, cusped two-light pointed bell openings with scotia moulded aedicules to all sides above. Moulded stringcourse over with central and corner gargoyles. Embattled parapets with crocketed corner pinnacles, mostly C19. C19 north nave aisle has two single lancets to west wall and five pointed three-light windows with various designs of reticulated tracery to north wall. Continuous cill band below. To east, pointed north vestry door. Above, in clerestory, three C15 two-light, flat headed windows with cusped ogee headed lights and pierced spandrels. C19 triple cusped lancets with transom to east of north vestry. East window; three stepped lancets. Three lancets to south chancel wall joined by cill band. Two lancets to west, larger. Between eastern two, a pointed chamfered doorcase with moulded hood and imposts. Above, fine square stone sundial of 1775, inscribed to top 'INDUCE ANIMUM SAPIENTEM'. Also inscribed in semi-circle round base of gnomon, 'Willi Lee and Thomas Froggatt. Churchwardens. Anno X 1775'.

Attached to side of door near ground, a pair of C13 gravestones incised with crosses. Nave aisle has three-light reticulated 1880s window, with hood to east wall. Two similar windows to south wall. Beyond, to west, south porch with pointed doorcase, inner order supported by hook shafts. Diagonal buttresses either side. Cusped lancet to nave aisle beyond, to west. Above, in clerestory, three C19 imitations of north clerestory windows.

Interior: three bay arcades to north and south with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches, southern piers octagonal, one column and one quatrefoil pier to north. Tower arch, triple chamfered with inner moulding supported by half column pilasters. Double chamfered pointed chancel arch with soffit on corbels. Nave roof C15, restored in C20. Other roofs C19. Chancel has barrel vault and two bay northern arcade with central quatrefoil pier, moulded capital and double chamfered-arches, C19 trefoil headed painted wooden arcade behind altar.

Various C19 stained glass windows, also one of 1911 by Geoffrey Webb. C18 pulpit with C19 ironwork railing to side, probably by Street. C16 murals to clerestory walls. Stone font, probably C12 with semi-circular arcading in low relief. Charity plaque of 1760. Various C18 stone wall memorials. Re-used C17 panelled screen, with balustraded top, in tower arch.

Listing NGR: SK2177476417

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
80637
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15547/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Wolfe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].